Sunday, October 17, 2010

Our Pirate Adventure


My mother is so many things.  So many wonderful things.  One of these things is whimsical.  She loves the Rip Squeak books by Susan Yost-Filgate and Leonard Filgate.  For my eldest sons first birthday, she bought him The Treasure.  In this story, Rip Squeak and his friends find a treasure map in a book and start off on a grand adventure.




I read this book to my boys last weekend and lo and behold, there was a treasure map in the back!!!  Imagine their faces....priceless!


The map led them to the 'dirt pile' and then into a field where they discovered a box containing pirate hats and a new map.


 The new map led them around the neighborhood, over a bridge, down special pathways and through the 'woods'.





 The directions on the map said to dig, so magically, there happened to be a shovel nearby.





 Treasure!!!  Inside the box was fake money, beads, silly band bracelets and ring pops.  They couldn't have been happier after this grand adventure of their own.






We've read the book a couple times since then and I know they hold their breath at the end hoping for a new map.  Perhaps one day there will be. 

7 comments:

  1. You are such a cool Mom. Love this Aubrey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soooo cool. You rock Aubrey. We should hang out soon, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your boys drew the lucky card when they got you as a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. K....you are the coolest mom ever! Love it, love it, love it...I can't show Kalia or she will get jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look on Jake's face! Such good memories you are building... What a great mom you are Aubrey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kudos everyone! I'm not usually near this fun, so don't give me too much credit. I do love them, though, and I'm glad I made the efforts to do this.

    ReplyDelete