Thursday, December 9, 2010

Peanut Butter Bombs


The boys renamed these Peanut Butter Bombs, because, well...'they look like bombs, Mom.'  The original name is Peanut Butter Bon Bon's and it's a recipe out of our family cookbook.  The last time I remember making these I was fresh out of college and in my first apartment.  The kitchen was teeny tiny.  The stove, fridge and sink were all miniature.  Good thing I'm not very big either.  The best part about the kitchen was that it was pink. 

I loved that first apartment I shared with my friend, Chandala.  It was the beginning of my independence and an expression of who I was becoming.  It was in a old brick building, with radiator heat, hardwood floors, beds that rolled out of the walls and high ceilings.  Character just oozed out of it.  Although it was only on the third floor, our view was fabulous as my town doesn't really have many tall buildings.  In the fall, when the maple trees changed colors, the view was breathtaking. 

Oh, the parties we threw there!  They couldn't be too loud or too late as the building didn't really have any insulation or soundproofing between apartments, but we managed to have fun anyhow. 

I vividly remember making these peanut butter treats for my co-workers while standing in my tiny kitchen.  They were a hit then as I'm sure they will be this year for the holidays once again.

The boys were pretty excited about bath time tonight when I told them there would be a peanut butter bomb waiting for them when they finished.  Although, I'm not sure how wise having bath time before a messy, chocolate treat was. 




This cup and saucer was my grandmothers.  When she was dying, she let me choose a dish from the china cabinet to remember her by.  I chose this one because it's girly and pretty and old...and perhaps because it reminds me of my fabulous apartment with the pink kitchen.  I like to drink spiced mulled wine from it in the winter and think of her. 


Peanut Butter Bombs

2 cups peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
16 oz powdered sugar (4 1/2 cups)
3 cups Rice Krispies
12 oz chocolate chips

In saucepan, melt peanut butter and butter.  In a large bowl, combine powdered sugar and cereal.  Pour peanut butter mixture over cereal mixture.  Blend 1/2 to 1 inch balls (they will be dry, press them together).  Chill until firm.  Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or carefully in the microwave.  Dip candies and place on waxed paper before chilling again. 

These freeze very well.

4 comments:

  1. I remember that apartment! I always wanted to live there - it was so cool. I love peanut butter bombs - they're wonderful, especially straight out of the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aubrey welcome home and thanks for sharing your special bomb recipe. Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that teacup...remember it always in the china cabinet that Papa made for your grandmother. And I'll never forget your vintage cocktail party at that cool apartment...what a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always so nice to have such beautiful memories. Memories never fade!

    ReplyDelete