Sunday, December 12, 2010

Shark!

This news report was released last Friday on MSNBC http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40472545/?gt1=43001  It's tragic news about shark attacks in Egypt.  I know this is another Egypt story so soon after the last one, but it was prompted by this news article.

Open ocean kinda freaks me out.  There's just so many scary critters down there.  I never should have watched Jaws.  In spite of this, I do like adventure, so I jumped into the Red Sea to see the deep blue. 


In my right hand, I held a little underwater camera.  You know the sound they make...the ratcheting as it's wound up then the click as is snaps a photo.  We saw all kinds of beautiful fish.  They'd come right up so I could practically reach out and touch them.  It was magical.  After being in the water a few minutes, I noticed that the other folks in my group were turning back.  Just as I was about to lift my head above water to see what was going on, I spied it.


Perhaps a hundred yards away and 50 feet below me there was a shark.  I haven't the foggiest idea what kind, but it was definitely a shark.  It was swimming not quite perpendicular to us, leisurely like.  Just cruising around.  Goodness knows what I was thinking (obviously I wasn't), but I chose to snap a photo of it.  As I took the picture, it made it's loud 'click' sound.  The shark turned suddenly towards the sound and started swimming right towards me.  Be still my heart!  I never looked back as I swam as fast as I could to safety.  Whew!

The only picture I cared about when we got home and had them developed was my shark picture.  I'd love to show it to you here, but to my unbelievable disappointment, it was only a picture of deep blue and bubbles.  The shark didn't show up.  Boo hoo!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, what adventures we've had. Only recently have I realized how lucky were were...both to be able to go and to be able to come back.

    ReplyDelete