Thursday, December 30, 2010

Overnight Waffles


I'm not feeling particularly clever today, but I wanted to take a minute to share this handy recipe with you.

My fun day with my nieces (Hadley, 1 and Maddie, almost 5) and nephew (Jeremiah, 8) started off with some circus animal waffles.  I knew they'd be here early and I wanted to have something ready for their mother when she got here too. 

Getting up early is not my favorite thing to do.  I start out with the best of intentions, but usually hit the snooze a time or two too many.  That said, I knew I probably wouldn't want to get up super early to make waffles so I started the night before.  All I had to do this morning was heat up the waffle iron and bake them. 

My Christmas gift from my lovely in-laws was this circus animal waffle iron.  There's a lion, an elephant and a clown.  What could be more fun for breakfast than circus animal waffles? 



 The only modification I would make to the recipe would be to increase the cinnamon.  The original recipe only called for 1/4 teaspoon.  They were still tasty, but I like a little extra jazz in my food than most recipes allow for. 



Jeremiah-He's still sleepy.  


Christian
 Overnight Waffles
Barely modified from:
Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 package or 2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 3/4 cups milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup cooking oil (such as vegetable or canola)

In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, yeast, salt and cinnamon.  Add the milk, eggs and oil; beat until thoroughly combined.  Cover loosely and refrigerate overnight.

Stir batter.  Pour onto a preheated waffle baker and cook according to manufacturer directions.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I might have to try this one of these days. THe girls would love to have waffles for breakfast on a school day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would try these, but it seems like when I make waffles no one comes to my party, sleepy head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! you're such a fun mommy and auntie. so creative!

    ReplyDelete