Monday, June 20, 2011

Grilled Halibut with Mango-Avocado Salsa


My new favorite cook is Gwyneth Paltrow.  I didn't even know she could cook until I read an article about her that featured several of her recipes, one of which my mother and I made last Friday night.  Gwyneth also has a cookbook out called My Father's Daughter.  I lost all self-control last week and went out and bought it.  You'll be seeing a lot of her recipes this summer here on My Oh My.  I can't decide what to make next!


In the introduction of her book, Gwyneth talks a lot about cooking with her late father and about her passion for food.  One of my favorite lines from the book is in the foreword written by Chef Mario Batali. 

He writes, 'The most important thing to take from My Father's Daughter is the true pleasure we can derive from the thinking about, then the making of, and finally the enjoyment of eating good food together with the people we care about.' 

This echos exactly how I feel about food.  One of my biggest pleasures is cooking for my loved ones and making them happy.  It's one way I show people I love them. I may not be a beautiful, blonde, singer, actress, author, superhuman, but I do have a love for food in common with Gwyneth Paltrow.  Who knew? 


We spent the past four days with my mother and step-dad on Flathead Lake.  We do a lot of things with them such as sailing, sewing, talking, hot-tubbing, gardening...but mostly we cook.  While cooking lunch, we're already talking about dinner.  While eating breakfast, we talk about how incredible the food was the day before.  One of the many fabulous dishes we ate was Grilled Halibut with Mango-Avocado Salsa.


It was flavorful, simple, elegant and delicious.  Of course, I'm pretty sure everything tastes better with views like this.  Thanks for the inspiration, Gwyneth Paltrow!



Grilled Halibut with Mango-Avocado Salsa
Gwyneth Paltrow

1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cut into 1/2" dice
1 medium ripe mango, peeled and cut in to 1/2" dice
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
4 large fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for brushing
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 6-oz. halibut or mahi-mahi fillets
4 lime wedges

Prepare a grill to medium-high heat.  Gently combine the avocado, mango, tomatoes, basil, 1 Tbsp. oil, and 1 Tbsp. lime juice in a large mixing bowl.  Season salsa to taste with salt and pepper ans set aside at room temperature, gently tossing occasionally.

Place fish fillets in a 13x9x2" glass baking dish.  Drizzle remaining 2 Tbsp. oil and 2 Tbsp. lime juice over the dish.  Season fish with salt and pepper.  Turn fish to coat in the oil and lime juice.  Allow to marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature, turning fish occasionally.

Brush grill rack with oil.  Grill fish until just opaque in center, about 5 minutes per side.  Transfer to plates.  Spoon mango-avocado salsa over fish.  Squeeze a lime wedge over each and serve. 

Serves 4

1 comment:

  1. Every time I think about cooking with you last weekend I smile.

    ReplyDelete