Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Crab and Avocado Salad

This is my new favorite food. 

I've had many favorite's and I'm sure I will have many more, but for today...for this glorious, sunny day...this is all I need.  My tummy is happy, I've barely finished the dishes and here I am sharing this with you because seriously folks, I couldn't wait to tell you about it. 


I used imitation crab because the real stuff was $30 a pound.  If lump crab meat works into your budget, then by all means, go for it. 

This salad + a glass of icy cold pinot grigio (slushy because I forgot it in the freezer while we went to the park) = one happy mama!

Crab and Avocado Salad
Adapted from Food Network
serves 4

2/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
3 anchovy fillets, chopped (try not to skip this ingredient...soooo tasty)
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 pound crab meat
3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 large avocado, halved, pitted and diced
3 romaine hearts, chopped
1 1/2 cups croutons
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved (or whatever looks best in the produce dept.)

1.  Puree the yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, chives, basil, and anchovies in a blender until smooth (be patient, scrape the sides, it's worth it).  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

2.  Toss the crab meat, half the avocado and about 1 tablespoon of the yogurt dressing in a small bowl.  Toss the romaine, croutons, peas and the remaining avocado with the rest of the dressing in a large bowl.

3.  Divide the romaine salad among plates, top with the tomatoes and place some of the crab mixture in the center.

4.  Bliss

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy...I bet it would be good with shrimp also.

    ReplyDelete