Sunday, June 26, 2011

Lambic Slush

Lambic is a unique Belgian beer my dad introduced me to ages ago.  I love the fruity ones.  We used to drink it in frozen pint glasses on the back deck of his house and he would listen to me talk.  My dad's a good listener...and I surely get teased for talking a lot.  We're a good match.
The label for the peach flavor says, 'Lindemans Peche is a lambic made from local barley, unmalted wheat, and wild yeast.  After spontaneous fermentation peaches are added, creating a secondary fermentation and yielding a beer of exceptional flavor and complexity.' 

Fancy.

Even in my little Montana town I can find it in some of the higher end grocery stores as well as some specialty stores.  It's not too hard to find, just ask at the counter.  It's not too expensive either; usually about ten dollars.


Once upon a time I took a bottle of it to a BBQ and both Brad's sisters agreed that it would be tasty as a slush.  Hmmm, interesting idea.  I stored it away in the back of my brain in the file folder called 'things I want to try some day.'  Other items in that file include; go to Morrocco, build a greenhouse, pet a lion (this one is totally irrational, but I've had it all my life), make paella, learn to tile, own my own business, eat caviar...the list goes on and on.  At least my life won't be boring I suppose. 

This past week, I had the chance to try the lambic slush with the younger of the two sisters, Lauren.  Lambic comes in several fruity flavors including currant, raspberry and apple.  For this endeavour I chose peach.  This couldn't be an easier recipe.  It's only one ingredient.  The only tricky part is having the right equipment...an ice cream maker.

We simply poured about half the bottle or so into my ice cream maker then waited about 20 minutes for it to slosh around and start to freeze. 

It turned into a super refreshing and tasty 'grown-up' slush. 

I think I'll try the raspberry next time.  My dad will be here visiting for a couple weeks soon and this 'recipe' will surely be making an appearance on the newly stained front porch (my accomplishment this weekend).  


Oh, and I almost forgot.  Lauren had the idea to top the slush with some of the rest of the bottle of lambic.  It added a little fizz back in.

So there you have it and now I can check that one of the 'to do' list.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I LOVE this stuff! Never knew the history behind it though! Thanks for the idea! Now all I need is an ice cream maker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really very happy to say, your post is very interesting to read. you’re doing a great job. Keep it up
    Go to this website
    Visit our website

    ReplyDelete