Friday, October 15, 2010

Molasses Cookies



I've been thinking about these cookies all year long.  They're one of those things I look forward to the fall season for.  There's no reason I couldn't make them in the spring or summer, but for some reason I like to look forward to enjoying them during their designated season.  Perhaps this makes them more special.





When I was little, we used to eat a lot of gingersnaps at my grandparent's house.  We'd dip them in water to soften them a bit before eating them.  There were several irrigation ditches running through their 80 acres.  Every time we ate gingersnaps, someone would comment that they sure would taste better if we dunked them in the ditch water instead.  Knowing us kids we probably did it, though I can't recall any vivid memories of actually following through.  It's one of those things I wonder about.  Did I or didn't I?  As an adult (it's still wierd refering to myself as a grown up) I shudder at the thought of dipping my cookies in ditch water...especially ones running through pasture rented out to cattle ranchers.  Perhaps this makes me boring and unadventurous; perhaps this makes me wise; perhaps this makes me all of the above. 



These are molasses cookies aka ginger cookies.  Though they're soft and not 'snappy' they remind me of those special days eating gingersnaps at the Ranch with my brothers. 




Molasses Cookies
This is a print off from an online recipe.  I don't have the reference anymore to be able to give the creator credit. Sorry!

1 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
2 cups wheat flour
2 1/2 cups white flour
4 tsp baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cloves
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger
1/2 cup white sugar\

Cream the shortening, butter and brown sugar.  Add the effs and molasses and mix to incorporate.  In a separate bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, salt, cloves, cinnamon and ginger.  Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in one cup increments, mixing completely after each addition.  Cover and chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least one hour.

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Roll dough into walnut sized balls and dip tops into a bowl filled with the 1/2 cup white sugar.  Place the dough balls on a baking sheet 3 inches apart.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, just until set, but not hard.  Cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a rack to cool completely.  I like to eat them warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment