Wednesday, November 24, 2010

World Travel

My parents never bought me a car or the latest clothes or gadgets. Most times, I had to wait for Christmas or my birthday to get something. Unfortunately, both of those dates fall in December.


I didn’t get everything I wanted and at the time, I’m sure I complained from time to time. However, my parents gave me so much more! Aside from a college education, my folks started taking my two brothers and me on international vacations starting when I was just 13 years old. Not to mention the countless domestice road trips we were treated to.  What a fun childhood I had.  Lucky girl!  I remember us driving a 1989 Dodge Caravan until it finally croaked about 15 years later. I’m pretty sure that was the only new car my parents ever bought. Those vacations cost a pretty penny and I’m so grateful my they chose what was better. Instead of the latest equipment, cars and clothes, I have memories that will last a lifetime. Not only that, but I have a better perspective of the rest of the world. 

When I was 13, we went to China.

At age 15, it was Costa Rica. I started saving my money the day we got home from that vacation because I loved it so much and at age 17, I went back with some family friends.

At age 19, it was exotic Egypt.

When I was 21, my brother and I traveled to England and Whales.

And finally, at age 22, my friend Amy and I went (along with my dad) on a medical mission team to Vietnam to help work in remote clinics and with surgeons repairing childhood cleft palates and lips as well as crossed eyes.

At age 23, I got married and had a honeymoon in Mexico.

At age 24, I had my first baby. Since then, family life has been my adventure. And what an adventure it has been!

Last fall, at age 29, my husband and I finally got our Hawaii vacation. Just the two of us, no kiddos! I wish I still had that tan.

We have dreams of the Mediterranean, Morocco, Italy, Spain, Ireland and so many other places. Once our children our older, we fully intend to take them on international trips as well. My hope is that the vacations are part fun, touristy stuff and part service projects.

We’ll see where we are led.

I have decided to run a new series here on My Oh My. Though food is certainly a major passion of mine, I can’t ignore the passion for travel my parents instilled in me. I’ll be occasionally posting about my various travels and the many fun stories I have to share.

4 comments:

  1. Love it!! Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea! Looking forward to hearing more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! what an adventurous life! looking forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete