Thursday, September 23, 2010

Swaddling blankets for Margot

My baby brother and his wife just had a baby on September 3rd.  This is my first biological niece or nephew.  My older brother and his wife are pregnant as well and due in April.  Babyland in my family!  Thank goodness it isn't me.

You see, I have two rad little boys.  No girls.  Thank you, Casey and Kylene for providing a granddaughter!

Her name is Margot, and she is CUTE!


She was born with a lung infection and then suffered from seizures that cause her to have attacks of apnea.  After over two weeks in the hospital and a barrage of tests, she is now home with her mommy and daddy.  She's on oxygen, an apnea monitor when she's sleeping as well as some anti-seizure medication.  All of this is expected to be temporary.  Thank God!!!

Here's a picture Casey sent me of her before one of her tests.  They call her their little mad scientist in this one.


She took it all like a little trooper.  I'm so impressed by her and her parents!

See you this weekend sweet girl!

One of my biggest issues when I first became a mother...ok, I had a lot of issues when I first became a mother....was swaddling blankets. 

Receiving blankets weren't big enough after about 4 days.  There was always a knee, elbow, hand or tooshie sticking out.  The big fluffy blankets were great, but too big for swaddling.  After my second boy was born, someone gave me some top sheets for a crib.  They were perfect for swaddling.  Victory!  I'm not sure if it was the swaddling, my experience as a mother or just my son's temperament, but he was a MUCH calmer and more peaceful baby.  Maybe it was a combination?  Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I do know, however, that I now love to give swaddling blankets for baby gifts on the off chance the blanket was trick. 

I chose three fun patterns for Margot because, well, her mother is fun and hip and totally cool and I figured she'd like them.  You're cool too, Casey.

I cut them about 3 and half feet square and sewed a simple hem around the edge.  They're made of a super soft, light flannel.

New photos of the actual swaddled cutie pie coming soon!

Here they are!



1 comment: