Friday, September 17, 2010

Peach Cobbler


I busted into the winter clothes today.  I'm actually not a fan of summer clothes, so I really didn't mind.  As I type this, I'm snuggled up in my old purple fleece jacket my stepdad got me and have my 3 year old's fleece Wall-E blankie on my lap.  It's quite a sight I assure you. 

Two nights ago, I got to see one of my favorite sights.  It was a beautiful evening and my stud athlete of a husband took the boys outside to play a little soccer.  The neighbors and their son came over to join in and so did the dog.  He's actually quite the defender.  I loved listening to them laughing and watching them play together.  Ahhh...be still my heart.  I sure do love my little family.
My project that evening was to make beef short ribs for them and then tell you all about them. 

They were a total disaster.

So...instead, I'm posting about peach cobbler.  A tasty little comfort food perfect for days like today.

It's peach season here so I used fresh peaches.  Canned will work just fine.

Start by peeling the peaches.  My mother taught me an easy way to do this.  Just boil the peaches for about 15-20 seconds.  Remove them from the water, allow them to cool a bit and then just rub the peel off. It just slips right off the fruit.


Here's our dog Roman with flour on his face.  Looks like he's a good soccer player and kitchen helper!



Peach Cobbler
From aeposey on allrecipes.com

Filling:
8 peaches-peeled, pitted and sliced into thin wedges
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch

Topping:
 1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/4 cup boiling water

Topping for the topping:
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine peaches, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Toss to coat evenly, and pour into a 2 quart baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in butter with your fingertips, or a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in water until just combined.
Remove peaches from oven, and drop spoonfuls of topping over them. Sprinkle entire cobbler with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake until topping is golden, about 30 minutes.

 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, as usual! SOrry to hear the ribs failed! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love everything you do Aubrey! You amaze me. :)

    ReplyDelete