Monday, September 13, 2010

Stuffed Mushrooms


(I need a camera.  These are snapshots pulled off a video camera.  It's all I got!)

The other night, I said the following to my husband 'I'll make you anything you want for dinner tonight.  What'll it be?'  Without hesitation, he replied 'stuffed mushrooms.'  Despite the ease in which these babies are prepared, the poor chap didn't get his reqeust until the following night...whooops! 


However, because of my delay, we were able to share them with our friends for game night.  Once upon a time, at a different game night, our long time friend, Delani, tried her first stuffed mushroom.  'I don't like mushrooms,' she protested.  We made her try it (that's right, come over to our house and we'll force feed you).  One nibble at a time, she finally finished it.  Lo and behold, she loved it and has since made them herself. 

She brought her fella, Christian, to this latest game night.  Christian doesn't like mushrooms either.  I bet you can guess what happened next...that's right, we made him try one.  He was a great sport about it though.  Here's the play by play:

Take a deep breath

In it goes.  No nibbling here. 
No...I'm not getting paid to advertise for Abercrombie and Fitch.  Maybe I should look into that....

Chew, chew, chew.  The anticipation was almost too much for us. 

And..........

Victory is mine!!!!  (Really need to look into that camera issue, sheesh!)


Stuffed Mushrooms

1/2 pound bulk sausage
15-18 mushrooms
4 oz cream cheese
8 oz ricotta cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Brown the sausage and drain fat on a paper towel, then place in a medium sized bowl.  Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp cloth.  Pop out stems out, chop them up and add them to the sausage.  Add the cream cheese, ricotta cheese and salt and pepper.

Lay the mushroom caps out on a metal rack that's been placed on a cooking sheet.  Spoon the sausage cheese mixture into the caps, then sprinkle on the parmesan.

Bake for 20-30 minutes until the mushrooms look wrinkly and the cheese is browned. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Another use for the 1/2 a pig I now have in my freezer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! The beauty of this is that you can modify it to your tastes. Bacon from your pig would be tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...I remember that rule. And I now try just about everything!

    ReplyDelete