Monday, September 27, 2010

Red Snapper

I'm from a land locked state.  The words 'fresh fish' aren't really widely used in my neighborhood.  We usually go for the IQF (individually quick frozen) version.

During my visit to Seattle, however, I just couldn't help myself and splurged on a couple b-e-a-utiful Red Snapper.  I stalked them at the Whole Foods for about half an hour trying to talk myself out of them (they don't exactly give them away).  This store is gorgeous, but they don't really give anything away.  I did get these reasonably priced dahlia's for my sister-in-law (aka Margot's mommy) though.


Anyhooo...back to stalking the fish.

I finally gave in and purchased them after the fish counter guy started giving me funny looks.  Ok...he didn't look at me funny, but he should have.  A lady drooling and oogling the red snapper for half and hour with two little boys trailing behind her whining about when it's time to leave?...questionable to say the least. 

After checking out, I rushed through Seattle traffic to my brothers house with my treasures in tow.  Alas, it was only 10:00 in the morning and I still had a loooong time until dinner.

When the time finally came, my brother got the BBQ coals going and I made a simple marinade for the fish.  We then sat out at the community grill for their apartment complex, drank our Strong Bow cider and made the neighbors jealous with the delicious aroma.  Cruel, I know.



Grilled Red Snapper

2 fresh red snapper, rinsed and patted dry
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup white wine
juice from half a lemon
8 cloves garlic, chopped
salt and pepper

Mix last 5 ingredients in a bowl, then spoon it into the fish cavity.  Place a few slices of lemon inside the fish too if you like.  Brush it on the outside of the fish and baste with it during the grilling process.

Place the fish on the grill for about 10 minutes per side or until the flesh is flaky.

YUMMM!!!  I felt like I was in the Mexican Riviera or something.

We made fish tacos with the leftovers the next day.  I know, shocking that there were leftovers.


3 comments:

  1. Yum! :-) Hope you are enjoying your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're having a good time! We're over in Whidbey Island now with Brad's sister

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, super yummy! That is my favorite way (and one of my only ways) to flavor things (since I am not good with herbs and spices), with lemon and garlic, works for nearly everything! yum!

    ReplyDelete