Monday, January 30, 2012

Wedding Cake and Raspberry Cream

My sweet friend, Jennifer, was married this past weekend and requested months ago that I make a cake for her Moroccan themed wedding.  It was so much fun!  A little stressful...not gonna lie, but fun nonetheless. 

I always freak about about any cake I make.  There's always a point at least once during the process where I feel the panic rising in my chest and feel certain that it's not going to work and I'll let someone down.  After a couple calls to my baking genius friends and a couple deep breaths, I was talked off the ledge of throwing it all away and starting over. 




There was nothing particularly difficult about the cake.  They just wanted a chocolate cake with raspberry cream filling and a chocolate ganache frosting, plus a bunch of little cupcakes.  The cake itself had a honey, coffee and chocolate flavor.  It came out much more dense than I would have liked so I ended up brushing it all with a raspberry simple syrup, which helped with the consistency.  I probably won't make it again and therefore, won't share it with you here. 



The raspberry cream, however, was amazing!  I've used it before as both a filling and a frosting.  It's light, and fruity and makes everything better.  This weekend, I decided it would be great as a topping for french toast or Belgian waffles and tonight, I'm using it for a parfait. Honestly, though, it's good straight off the spoon.  Of course I forgot to take a picture of it, but just imagine a big bowl of pink fluffy delicousness. 

Raspberry Cream

6 ounces unsweetened frozen raspberries
1 cup heavy cream
6 tablespoons sugar

In a saucepan, cook the raspberries over medium low heat until they release their juices.  Remove from the heat and allow to cool.  Puree in a blender, then strain the seeds out with a sieve.

Whisk the cream until stiff peaks form.  Mix 1/3 cup of the puree with the sugar and stir until dissolved.  Fold in the whipped cream.

1 comment: