Friday, February 3, 2012

Spiced Pumpkin and Brown Sugar Granola

Granola.

Not the most glamorous name for a food.  Just say it a few times out loud.  Maybe it's just me, but it's one of those words that just sound weird.  Like luggage, and fork and horse. 

Maybe I'm the weird one.  Yeah, that's probably a much more likely conclusion. 

Either way, this granola is incredible.  Growing up, granola never really appealed to me.  It was hard and boring and my jaw always got tired of chewing long before my belly was full.  As an adult, however, I love it!  It's fun to go to the health food store and peruse the wall of bulk bins looking for just the right granola for breakfast the next day.

Yes, this is fun to me...weird, I know.  Told ya.  


I also like to search through the wall of bulk spices.  As I've mentioned before, I don't buy spices in the spice aisle.  The bulk bins at the natural food stores are much more economical.  Instead of paying $10 for a tiny plastic jar of cardamom, you can get just the amount you need for the cost of a few pennies. 

After you read the recipe, you'll notice that I didn't use golden raisins.  I didn't have any, but the regular ones worked just as well.  My husband likes to just munch on this plain as a snack too.  My children even liked it...both of them...which is a miracle. 



Spiced Pumpkin and Brown Sugar Granola
From Oprah magazine

3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Canola or olive oil
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. ground cardamom
1 tsp. kosher salt
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup roughly chopped pecans
1 cup pistachios (optional)
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup dried cranberries (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

2.  In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, sugar, oil, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, cardamom, and salt.  Add oats, pecan, and pistachios (if using), and toss to coat.  Spread evenly on prepared baking sheet and bake 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.  Stir in raisins and cranberries (if using), and continue baking until oats are just crisp, about 15 minutes more.  Stir one last time, then set aside to cool completely.  When hard, break into chunks and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment