Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Warm Bean Salad with Salmon and Cauliflower


During my 'Tone and Zone' class at the gym earlier this morning, my instructor informed us to grab heavy weights because we'd be 'burning out' our biceps during the session.  As she spoke these words, she smiled...the whole time.

Though I smiled back at her, the hamster on the wheel inside my head was squealing 'We're going to do what to our biceps?!?!?!'  I bravely grabbed my heavy weights and prepared for the worst as I looked around the room.  To my dismay, I saw that most of the women in the class were older than me if not twice my age.  No excuses, Aubrey.

I took a deep breath while the drill instructor inside me head yelled 'C'mon, pansy, you can do this...you WILL do this.  Your classmates don't look scared and neither should you.  Burn those biceps, burn those biceps...burn those...'  I quieted his voice and silently prayed..."Dear sweet Lord, help me!"

Soon thereafter, I learned what it means to burn out my biceps.  Oh. My. Goodness.  Let's just say it's good thing I can rest my arms on the table right now and only have to use my fingers to type this blog post.  At the end of class, the instructor reminded us to drink lots of water and eat some protein for lunch. 

This salad is what I came up with based on leftovers and what I had on hand in the pantry.  I wasn't expecting much as I haven't been to the grocery store for a while, but I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor and texture of the dish.  Another plus is that it came together in no time at all.

Now, please excuse me while I go ice my burned out biceps. 


Warm Bean Salad with Salmon and Cauliflower

4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 cup cauliflower, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 can white beans (cannelini, navy), drained and rinsed
4-6 ounces cooked salmon, cut into small pieces*
1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.  Saute the cauliflower for 4-5 minutes or until it begins to soften (we don't want mushy).  Add the garlic and continue to saute for 2-3 more minutes until the garlic starts to brown. 

Add the beans and cook for about a minute to warm the beans, then add the salmon and heat through. 


Remove the skillet from the heat and add the lemon juice, salt, pepper and parsley.

Serve warm, though I'm sure this would taste great cold too. 

*You can use canned, drained salmon or be like me and use last nights leftovers.  I suspect his salad would still be tasty even without the salmon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment