Monday, July 18, 2011

Grilled Pizza

My first tomato ripened on the vine yesterday.  It was just a tiny little cherry tomato but considering the lateness of Western Montana summer weather, it was a glorious sight indeed.  I ate it as soon as I saw it...I barely even took the time to wash it.  It was still warm from the sun and it tasted like a tomato should taste...fresh and fruity and oh so summery.

While waiting for my own little pretties to ripen, I way over-paid for this gorgeous heirloom tomato at our local Whole Foods equivalent store called The Good Food Store.  I couldn't help myself though...it was calling my name...it's not my fault.


Lauren came over later that evening and we decided to make some grilled pizza with it.  I like to make my own dough in my bread maker if I have time.  If I don't, I get some pre-made dough from the store.  Either way, it never fails to disappoint my family; especially when I give them topping options.

This night, the kiddos had mozzarella and pepperoni.  The grown ups had Parmesan cheese, lightly sauteed asparagus and yellow bell peppers and of course, nice slices of my fancy shmancy tomato. 



Grilled Pizza

Work balls of dough (slightly larger than a golf ball) into flat pizza rounds about 6 inches in diameter.  Spray both sides with cooking spray or brush with oil. 

Heat your grill to about a medium low heat and place the dough on it in a single layer for a minute or so until the underside is cooked and you have nice grill marks.  Remove from the grill and turn it over.  Drizzle the cooked side of the dough with olive oil or spoon with a small amount of pizza sauce.  Add your desired toppings as well as some cheese. 

Place the pizza back on the grill and close the lid until the underside is cooked and the cheese starts to melt.  This takes just a few minutes. 

Pizza Dough

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm (not hot) water
2 tablespoons butter, softened
3 cups bread flour
3 tablespoons dry milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons bread machine yeast.

Measure ingredients carefully and place in the bread machine in order.  Use the dough setting on according to your machine's directions.

1 comment:

  1. We tried grilled pizza last summer and had a blast. Super tasty, but I need to perfect the art of the grill!
    Becca Everett

    ReplyDelete