Thursday, May 5, 2011

Pineapple Kiwi Salsa


Spring has been dragging it's heels here in Western Montana.  We're all well aware that we live in the mountains of Montana and we should expect such things, however, it has been unseasonably cold, rainy and still even snowy.  Needless to say, Little League is not my favorite event these days.  'Keep your eye on the ball!' is tough advice for children who can't open their eyes because of the horizontal hail blowing right in their faces.  One day, our coach said 'just aim for the biggest snowflake coming at you!' 

Call the game already, I say. 

My mom and I decided that despite our yearning for fairer days, we are grateful not to be experiencing tsunamis, earthquakes and tornadoes.  A little dose of perspective like that goes a long way. 

The mallard ducks who come to nest every year on the stream (aka irrigation ditch) in front of our house are always my indication that spring is soon.  Yesterday I spied the male and female approaching us.  Though Christian stood still beside me, he couldn't control the giggling.  He couldn't have been more pleased that they came so close to us. 

I assume the females must be nesting now as today, I only saw the males.  Four of them were hanging out together as though in the maternity waiting room.  I'll post pictures of the ducklings as soon as they show their cute fuzzy little faces.  They love to hang out on our porch and driveway every year.  I keep a close count on the babies and watch them grow throughout the season.  Simple pleasures.


The weather was not atrocious today.  Hallelujah!  I actually put on one of the cute sundresses I've purchased over the last few months.  Christian and I sat in the back yard for over an hour in the sunshine.  I read a book and he cut the grass along the fence with safety scissors (his idea, not mine...no child labor laws were broken). 



The sunshine was so inspiring I decided to make some fun salsa, which I ate in the backyard in the sun.  After all, it is Cinco de Mayo and I had to eat it before it started snowing again.  Actually, it hasn't started snowing again...yet.

This morning on the way to school, the neighbor boy asked me if I knew what yesterday was.  I said 'what.'  His reply was 'May the 4th be with you.'  I've been giggling all day about that one...then again, perhaps I have an immature sense of humor. 

Pineapple Kiwi Salsa

Mix together:

1 cup diced fresh pineapple (canned would work off season)
1 kiwi, peeled and diced
1 small jalapeno, finely diced (mine was on sale and cost me a whopping 3 cents)
2 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
1/4 teaspoon cumin
salt to taste

1 comment:

  1. Love the ducks. Love the joke. Love the recipe. Love you.

    ReplyDelete