Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mint and Strawberry Spritzer Cocktail

I've had a Marcus Sammuelsson recipe saved in 'my favorites' for several weeks waiting for just the right day, just the right moment, just the right company and well, frankly...just the right ingredients. 


Today was the day.  If for nothing else than strawberries were $1.50 a pound and I had some mint in a pot on the front porch.  It was 'hot' today too.  The thermometer reached all the way up in to the 60's today!  Considering how f-f-f-freezing it was yesterday, today was absolutely a heat wave in my book. 

My ducklings aren't here yet.  I was hoping to perhaps save this cocktail recipe to celebrate their arrival.  I'm not that patient, however, as I decided to Google the incubation period of a duck egg today.  It's 28 days.  This recipe needed to be made to-day!  Why the sudden urgency?  It struck my fancy, that's why.


I called up a couple gals and we toasted our nice warm day with our new fun cocktail.  I made them stand in the sun shining through the window first though.  I'm pretty sure they think I'm loony tunes.  The little things really should be celebrated.  So many of life's best moments pass without recognition.

My mother and her husband toasted the installation of their new toilet with some Courvoisier.  If anything should be celebrated, it should be indoor plumbing. 

Cheers!

Mint and Strawberry Spritzer Cocktail

Makes 2 drinks

3 ounces ginger liqueur, divided
2 teaspoons raw sugar
¼ cup mint leaves, divided, plus for garnish
4-6 strawberries, stems removed and sliced, plus 2 for garnish
Ice
Soda water

Divide the sugar, mint leaves, and strawberries evenly between two tall glasses. Muddle with a long spoon and then top off with ice. Pour the ginger liqueur over the ice in each glass and stir with a spoon. Top off with soda water and garnish with a strawberry on each glass.

1 comment:

  1. So, couldn't find the ginger liqueur at the HUGE liquor store in New Hampshire. Your brothers and I tried it with honey liqueur. Nope...we should have waited for the real stuff.

    ReplyDelete