Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Buttered Rosemary Rolls

All I have to say about these is that you should make them right now.  Drop everything and get busy!  My neighbor's son never really spoke to me until I made a batch of these for them.  If I recall correctly, he leaned over the fence and hollered 'These are like heaven on a plate!' 

Who am I to argue with Gus? 


This batch was made last night for these two lovely ladies.  Last year, I told my sister-in-law I would make these and bring them over.  I was in big trouble when I showed up with store bought rolls.  Note to all you ladies out there...don't make your husband's sister mad.  She loves me again now.  Whew!


Buttered Rosemary Rolls
Adapted from Pioneer Woman

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons butter, softened
3 cups bread flour
3 tablespoons dry milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Place all ingredients in your bread maker and choose the dough setting.  At first, occasionally scrape the sides of your machine pan to make sure all the flour and whatnot gets incorporated.   If you don't have a bread maker, you can use a hand made dough recipe or frozen dough from the freezer section.

Grease a 9 x 13 pan and form 12 rolls from the dough.  This part is hard to explain, but kind of stretch the dough and fold the sides under itself a couple times.  This creates a smooth, tight top to the roll. 

Cover with a towel and allow to rise until doubled. 

Melt a couple tablespoons of butter and brush over the tops of the rolls.  Lightly sprinkle with finely chopped rosemary as well as some coarse salt. 

Bake at 400 degrees F until the tops are browned and they sound hollow when you gently knock on them with your knuckle.  Brush on more butter and serve.  They're much better if served warm. 

You might want to eat a light lunch the day you make these.  You're going to want two of them, trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment