Sunday, February 20, 2011

On the Porch

Texturing, priming, new floor install including raising the living room floor 1/4 inch and 452 trips to Home Depot because I can't find the right paint color...that's right, we're remodeling.  We've been consumed.

My poor little blog has taken a back burner, but I have a story I want to share.

Last September, my dad came to visit from Arizona.  He's not a fan of the summers but endures them anyhow.  Needless to say, he was thrilled to be able to enjoy the relative cool of our Montana summer.  One afternoon, we were able to spend a few minutes together on the front porch.  I grabbed a couple camp chairs from the garage and a couple beers from the fridge and out we went to catch up. 

God must have been especially fond of my dad that day, because a summer rain storm started right after we sat down.  Our summer rain storms are lovely.  They're more like thunderous downpours though.  As the rain poured, I looked over at my dad.  I swear I've never seen such a relieved and contented look an a human being.  We sat, sipped our beers and stared out at the sheet of rain.  Meanwhile, my dad gave me a history of Porter and India Pale Ale types of beer. 

For the simple cost of a couple malted beverages, I now have a special memory of my dad I will always treasure.

3 comments:

  1. That's very sweet. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, Aub. You made me smile with your description. It really is the simple pleasures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks....It was a great time for me too! Had a WONDERFUL time, and you were so patient listening to me blather on and on. And what a wonder, getting to experience real rain. You know, here when it rains they say, 'Well, it rained 4 inches....' That just means, the drops were about 4 inches apart. DAD

    ReplyDelete