Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mediterranean Tilapia

My mom and I always have fun together.  Whether it's sledding with my kiddos, sharing fun cocktails in her beautiful garden or just chit chatting in the hot tub, we always have a great time.  Last May, she and I flew to visit my brother and his wife in Maine.  We slept in the same room and stayed up half the night giggling.  I felt like a little girl at a sleep over again.  How blessed am I to be able to call my best friend, Mom!

We also like to cook together.  As I've mentioned before, my whole family cooks (I'll tell you about my dad's incredible Indian food another time).  My mom always has a stocked kitchen and pantry, so it's never difficult to find something to make.  Several years ago, we invented this dish.  It turned out so well that I wrote it down so I could replicate it someday. 

Today's the day!  Mom is coming to visit me this evening.  I plan to make this for dinner. 

Several hours later.....This is how it turned out:





It was just as tasty as we remembered it. 



My boys call her Nona. 




Jacob's a ham...can you tell?



Nona was super cool today and made monster cookies with them. As Jacob was spooning the dough onto the cookie sheets I overheard him say 'This is fun! Mom never lets us do this part.'  It's true...I don't.  I'll change my ways, I promise.


 She even let them share the beater.  Man....I need to improve my game here!


I've been trumped.  Oh well, I suppose that's what I get for making flax bran muffins with my kids instead of monster cookies.  What was I thinking?  

Mediterranean Tilapia
1/2 medium red onion, diced
1 medium red pepper, diced
12 black olives, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons small capers
1 teaspoon fish bullion
3 cans chicken broth
3-4 tilapia fillets, rinsed and patted dry
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 to 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
10-14 ounces cooked spaghetti

Saute the onion, red pepper, garlic, olives and capers in the olive oil until tender.  Add fish bullion and chicken broth.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer this mixture while cooking the fish. 

Mix the flour and salt and some pepper.  Bread the fish fillets in the flour mixture.  Heat the butter in a frying pan over medium heat.  Cook the fish until golden brown.  The fish should flake when pierced with a fork.  Try not to over cook the fish. 

To serve, spoon the broth mixture over spaghetti noodles in a bowl.  Lay a fish fillet on top of the noodles and top with Parmesan cheese.  Broil the dish for a few minutes until the cheese melts.

2 comments:

  1. I loved coming down to cook with you and the boys. Next time, I want to wear a chef's hat. Oh, BTW...isn't it incredible how you and I look nothing alike?

    ReplyDelete